File Dialogue on Client Side

General conversation about our product. Get help with your 'How To' questions.
AjijicMC33

File Dialogue on Client Side

Post by AjijicMC33 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:48 pm

I would like to use the Application.FileDialog function to be able to browse and select files on the client side computer. I am not trying to open that file, email it, or doing anything else with it. I just want to be able to grab the full path and name from the client side and then save it in my MS Access application running on the server.

I have used Application.FileDialog on the server and it works exactly as I want it to. I just want to be able to navigate with the file dialog on the client. Open on Client will let me select file type/extension and Open URL on client will let me open a web page using the client's default browser. I am looking to be able to open just one specific file that will contain the Application.FileDialog code.

Is this possible? Thanks.

John

Re: File Dialogue on Client Side

Post by John » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:53 am

Hello,

Sorry, I am not familiar with Application.FileDialog code

However,

I just want to be able to grab the full path and name from the client side and then save it in my MS Access application running on the server.

Possibly this information will help you:

try to use in your MS Access \\tsclient\c\myfullpath\myfilename

For exemple

\\tsclient\c\tmp\test.txt

In this exemple, this command will access on the user side the file named test.txt in the user folder C:\tmp

I hope this can help you

Kind regards

John

AjijicMC33

Post by AjijicMC33 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:59 pm

FileDialog simply opens Windows Explorer - so anything that provides that functionality within TSPlus will work for me as long as it opens and sees files/folders on the client side.

I am trying to navigate and find a file on the client side rather than accessing a file where I know the name and full path.

But thanks for you idea.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:43 pm

Hello,

You can publish a mapped drive either with a shortcut of the mapped drive that you copy in the desktop folder of the user profile. Doing so, the shortcut will be present on the desktop of the remote user and in the remote taskbar if you plan on using it. More information about the remote taskbar can be found here : http://www.terminalserviceplus.com/docs ... ting-panel

You can also publish this shared folder using the folder application, more information about this can be found here : http://www.terminalserviceplus.com/docs/folder

If your goal is to publish the content of a folder with an exclusive access to each users then follow this procedure :

http://support.tsplus.net/kb/faq.php?id=25
and in the generated script type in the path of your application subst Y: C:\Users\%USERNAME%\your folder

Doing so your user will be able to have access to this drive letter Y:, which will be pointing to their exclusive profile folder. Of course this is only an example.
If you would prefer to redirect their local "My documents" folder or any other specific folder then type in :

subst Y: \\tsclient\c\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents

The final step is to publish an application that will secure the Y: of each users, preventing them from accessing the whole server. To do so, open an admin tool, go to the application tile and click on "Application publishing". Add the folder application located in C:\Program Files (x86)\TSplus\UserDesktop\files.
In the command line option, set the path of your application (Y: in the example above). The last step is to publish this application to your users / groups. Doing so your users will only have access to the content of this folder.
Olivier
TSplus support team administrator