User Limit

General conversation about our product. Get help with your 'How To' questions.
felipe_castro

User Limit

Post by felipe_castro » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Hello!

I have unlimited tsplus license and want to know if there is any limitation on the number of concurrent sessions?
I need at least 70 sessions/users using the server at the same time.
Is TSPlus robust enough for this? Will I have a specific problem?

admin
Site Admin

Re: User Limit

Post by admin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:51 pm

Hello,

We have some customers who are able to have more than 100 users on a single server. However this is possible because they publish a light application to their users and have done some extended testing to optimize their server performance.

You will find all basic information regarding TSplus pre requesite here : http://www.terminalserviceplus.com/docs/pre-requisites

What is important to keep in mind, is that your server's performance will mostly depend on these criteria :

1- The amount of memory used by your published application, some applications requires more memory than others.
2- The percentage of CPU used by your published application, some applications requires more CPU than others.
3- Fast disk access, this is also important to consider if your application needs to write a lot of data, especially if more than 50 users are connected simultaneously.
4- The amount of GDI/Users objects used by your published application. Some application may cause servers to hang because of this Windows limitation that is not dependent of hardware ressource, more information about this can be found here : blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2010/02/24/3315174.aspx

You can check these by opening a task manager and click on the process tab, use the display feature to add GDI and User objects.
Olivier
TSplus support team administrator

felipe_castro

Post by felipe_castro » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:00 pm

My concern is not about hardware as I have a high-performance AWS server framework. My published application is lightweight and does not use much appeal.
I only had doubts with the TSPlus tool when it comes to supporting a limit on simultaneous connections through http web access.

IvanGB

Post by IvanGB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:28 pm

Hi Olivier.

On the subject of User and GDI objects, aren't these limits by process? If so, in our scenario, a running application (1 process) will exist in a unique session. Many sessions will be open, but then this same application will be a distinct process in each session, each with their own limit. How would this be different from running the same application on a machine outside a remote session environment?

Are you implying that the number of User/GDI objects will be a sum of all the processes from the same executable?

Best.

Ivan

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Hello,

@Felipe Castro : You should not be concerned about your connection method but more focused on the technical aspects I point out in my previous message. HTML5 shows great overall performance and is widely used for unlimited connections setup.

@Ivan : I have seen in the past servers with great hardware configuration not being able to launch more than 20 users simultaneously because GDI objects reached their maximum limits, which is a shame especially when CPU is at 15%, memory usage is low and disks almost idle. Some applications do consume a lot of these, so it is important to look at this. If GDI / user object are an issue and you already purchased a big server with great specs, the best course of action is use virtualization, setting as many virtual machines as you need and use load balancing.
Olivier
TSplus support team administrator

felipe_castro

Post by felipe_castro » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:23 pm

admin wrote:Hello,

@Felipe Castro : You should not be concerned about your connection method but more focused on the technical aspects I point out in my previous message. HTML5 shows great overall performance and is widely used for unlimited connections setup.

@Ivan : I have seen in the past servers with great hardware configuration not being able to launch more than 20 users simultaneously because GDI objects reached their maximum limits, which is a shame especially when CPU is at 15%, memory usage is low and disks almost idle. Some applications do consume a lot of these, so it is important to look at this. If GDI / user object are an issue and you already purchased a big server with great specs, the best course of action is use virtualization, setting as many virtual machines as you need and use load balancing.
OK!

I will trust the TSPlus tool and definitely migrate all my servers and clients to use the HTML5 service. I hope I do not have too many problems!

Thank you Olivier!

IvanGB

Post by IvanGB » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi Olivier.

OK, that wasn't quiet what I tried to mean but it is fine for now.

Cheers.

Ivan