License question for Hyper-V environment

General conversation about our product. Get help with your 'How To' questions.
tobi

License question for Hyper-V environment

Post by tobi » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:42 am

Dear support,

I have installed 3 windows 8.1 clients on a Windows 2012 R2 server using Hyper-V which is accessable by one public IP address. The Windows Clients can't be accessed directly because they do not have public addresses.
My plan was to buy and install one three user license of Mobile Web Edition or Enterprise Edition (e.g. as Gateway ?) and allow the users access to their client(s).
But it seems not to work. Do I really need additional license for each of the client installations ?
As far as I know it's possible to access the Hyper-V hosts using RDP from the Hyper-V server.

Can you please tell me if I'm right or wrong ? If additional licenses should be needed for the clients, is the system edition enough or do I need a higher edition ? Do you provide any special features in Hyper-V environments ?

Thank you very much.

adpetersky

Re: License question for Hyper-V environment

Post by adpetersky » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:00 pm

I believe you need to have a license for each "server", as in each guest operating system. The licensing is per installed server and not relative to physical hardware. I have 2 guest in a 2012 hyper-v environment and i have 2 TSPlus server licenses. Since there is actually 2 servers in operation, virtually or physically. I think the "gateway" feature on TSPlus is more like a server farm manager for sessions and not a way to install 3 copies with only one license.