Clarification on Licensing

General conversation about our product. Get help with your 'How To' questions.
StylusPilot

Clarification on Licensing

Post by StylusPilot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:27 am

Hi,

I am looking for clarification on the Licensing required for TSPlus.

The website mentions "No need for Windows Terminal Server CALs"

So, in order to get a working Terminal Server with TSPlus I would need the following in these examples.

EXAMPLE 1.

2x Terminal Servers running Windows Server 2012
100 Users

Licensing Needed

2x TSPlus Unlimited Corporate License (one for each server, and assuming I want all features in the corporate edition)
Microsoft Licensing (whether it be standard or datacenter) to cover both Terminal Servers

Is that it?

EXAMPLE 2.

1x Terminal Server running Windows 7
5 Users

Licensing Needed

1x TSPlus 5 User Corporate user (one for each server, and assuming I want all features in the corporate edition)
Microsoft Licensing (are there limitations on the desktop editions, do I need Software Assurance, can it be a plain OEM license)

Thanks in advance

admin
Site Admin

Re: Clarification on Licensing

Post by admin » Mon May 19, 2014 11:27 am

Hello,

Sorry for not answering sooner. Microsoft RDS / terminal server should not be installed on TSplus server so that no confusion between RDS cals and TSplus license may occur.
The only Cals that may be useful are the user cals, required to use your TSplus server as a "file server", thought nowadays many would use a Linux NAS as it is cheaper. Cals are also required if you use IIS, once again this is not needed as TSplus installs its own web server.

Now what is important to understand regarding TSplus licensing is that it counts only active opened simultaneous sessions, compare to Microsoft which counts session per users or per devices. This makes TSplus more flexible and easier to use.
Olivier
TSplus support team administrator

clickone

Post by clickone » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:07 am

Hi

The server farm where my server is hosted there sent me the following email:
We have recently aligned the software licensing adjustment in accordance with our SPLA agreement with Microsoft.
Following its results and in accordance with the instructions of Microsoft Israel incorporated in the SPLA agreement, the Office software installed on the server is required according to the number of users.
According to the 2017 price list, the price per Office Pro Plus user is $ 18 / month.
Also, each Windows user must have a TS RDP SAL license that costs $ 5.5 / month.

By delaying Microsoft's update of the terms of the agreement, we can not take any responsibility for the TsPlus software on the server.
Please confirm that you understand this, and accept responsibility for yourself in connection with the use of this software on this server.
My question is do I have to worry? Or am I really covered with a licensing test?
Thank you

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Hello,

I do not think that Office SPLA can be installed and used on a TSplus server because it relies on a RDS environment. However you will be able to use a personal license of Office for this purpose. Each users will of course need to own a valid Office license.

More information on Microsoft EULA and TSplus can be found here : http://tsplus.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... eula#p4845
Olivier
TSplus support team administrator

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:28 am

Hi there,

I'm very new to TSPlus and my first installations didn't need MS Office. So now its the first customer and I'm not clear about how to install and what to install or choose for my customers (typically up to 15 workplaces so no special deal with Microsoft).

When I use TSPlus without any RDS funcionality as I understand I neet to get a license for every user on Server because technically its possible for every user to access it. So now it would be the point if we are allowed to use standard O365 Business/Business Premium Licenses and O2019 Home and Business licenses or do we need to get Office 365 Pro Plus or Office 2019 with a SPLA license?

Thanks for your help!