Looking for the cause of an annoying performance lag.

Get help with troubleshooting issues
dcipher

Looking for the cause of an annoying performance lag.

Post by dcipher » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi

We have been using TSPlus for a number of years without issue but for the past number of months we have found that there is a annoying lag between when you type or click on something with the mouse. It seems to go in intervals where you have no problem and then suddenly nothing you type shows on the screen and you have to wait 5 to 10 seconds. I am not sure where the problem might be and so am looking for suggestions.

One of my customers complained about this today. We both have high speed internet (1.0-1.5gbs down and 30 mbs up). I have checked with the data centres where the servers are located and they indicate that there are no problems. Speed tests on our internet service indicate we are operating at the proper speeds.

The servers are not busy as it is rare to seem that above 20% CPU useage and 30% memory consumption. They all run Windows 2012 Server Std with 16 gig of ram and 500gig SSD drives which are less than half full.

Any suggestions about how to track this down would be appreciated.

Thanks
Simon

Caswolf

Re: Looking for the cause of an annoying performance lag.

Post by Caswolf » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:17 am

Hi,

We had a similar issue but with our Windows Server 2019.

We faced this since April or May (I can't remember exactly) until middle of August. This annoying lag appeared randomly and when we check server's performance we cannot see anything strange, we even checked the event viewer without any clue what's going on. And then after seconds or a couple of minutes it started to work fine again. I must say that we tried to disconnnect users, make them close applications in order to track the problem, check our network,... but with no luck.

We opened a ticket with TSPlus and they suggested that it was a performance problem of the servers, so we decided to upgrade CPU and RAM of our servers but problem persisted.

I also have to say that this haven't happened for a couple of weeks right now, not sure if it is solved or not...The only thing we did was teach our users to close the applications that they don't use in order to decrease the number of processes and make them close session when they're away from their desks.

It would be great if you share what caused your lag issue if you found it. I will post if we find something too.

Cheers!

dcipher

Post by dcipher » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:55 pm

Yes I will post the solution if and when we find it.

Simon

dcipher

Post by dcipher » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi

I wonder if anyone working at TSPlus can tell me the impact that RDS Knight has on the server in terms of reducing the performance. Would it affect the user experience in terms of mouse and keyboard response? I noticed that it has added a lot of rules to the firewall because I have enabled Brute Force protection and Country restrictions.

Thanks
Simon

dcipher

Solved: Looking for the cause of an annoying performance lag.

Post by dcipher » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Hi

I discovered that my Windows network settings had 4 different default gateways setup. The reason of this was that the computer is often used on different networks at our development lab. Once I removed the extra gateways leaving only the one for our main network the lag problem disappeared.

Simon

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:27 am

Hello Simon,

This is great news, thank you for sharing.
Olivier
TSplus support team administrator

dcipher

Post by dcipher » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:14 pm

Hi

I put back all 4 default gateways but this time I assigned a metric to each one rather than leaving it to Windows to automatically assign the metric and it is working fine. I just change the metric depending on which network I am working on to prioritize the correct gateway.

Simon