Need to use %username% in Application Publishing

Get help with troubleshooting issues
TSPlusSMD

Need to use %username% in Application Publishing

Post by TSPlusSMD » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:45 pm

I am trying to publish an application based on %username% but it doesn't seem to work. I really just want it to display a network folder based on the user that is logged in (like their home folder). Can't find anything in the forum or documentation. Can this be done?

I have been playing with different ways to display a folder as an application and here is what I have found:

You can use folder.exe. It accepts %username% as a command line argument. The drawback is that the folder displayed is a fixed size and too small. No size control. Can this be overcome?

You can use Explorer.exe but it won't take the %username%. I like the size control and looks. Any way to get explorer to use the %username%?

Caswolf

Re: Need to use %username% in Application Publishing

Post by Caswolf » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Hello,

I'm posting here because I actually need this to be working as I have some applications published using %username% and now I can't edit them because I didn't provide an existing directory.

Is there a way to deactivate this validation? I don't want to create an application for every user we have from now on...

Thank you!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:32 pm

You can publish a mapped drive either with a shortcut of the mapped drive that you copy in the desktop folder of the user profile. Doing so, the shortcut will be present on the desktop of the remote user and in the remote taskbar if you plan on using it. More information about the remote taskbar can be found here : https://www.terminalserviceplus.com/doc ... ting-panel

You can also publish this shared folder using the folder application, more information about this can be found here : https://www.terminalserviceplus.com/docs/folder

If your goal is to publish the content of a folder with an exclusive access to each users then follow this procedure :

https://support.tsplus.net/support/solu ... ue-letter-
and in the generated script type in the path of your application subst Y: C:\Users\%USERNAME%\your folder

Doing so your user will be able to have access to this drive letter Y:, which will be pointing to their exclusive profile folder. Of course this is only an example.
If you would prefer to redirect their local "My documents" folder or any other specific folder then type in :

subst Y: \\tsclient\c\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents

The final step is to publish an application that will secure the Y: of each users, preventing them from accessing the whole server. To do so, open an admin tool, go to the application tile and click on "Application publishing". Add the folder application located in C:\Program Files (x86)\TSplus\UserDesktop\files.
In the command line option, set the path of your application (Y: in the example above). The last step is to publish this application to your users / groups. Doing so your users will only have access to the content of this folder.
Olivier
TSplus support team administrator

Caswolf

Post by Caswolf » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:40 pm

Hello!

Thank you for your answer, I will check it tomorrow as soon as I start my shift. It looks like with this information I can solve my problem :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:06 pm

Hello,

Let me know if you need some more guidance as this is a vast topic. ;)
Olivier
TSplus support team administrator