Limit memory (ram) per user

Get help with troubleshooting issues
ds2kx

Limit memory (ram) per user

Post by ds2kx » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:08 pm

Hi,

just like on terminal server, it is possible to limit memory usage (ram) per user ? if yes, how?

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: Limit memory (ram) per user

Post by admin » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:09 pm

Hello,

This is not possible and this feature is not on our roadmap, sorry for the bad news.
Olivier
TSplus support team administrator

ds2kx

Post by ds2kx » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:53 am

ok thanks but your product is totaly on difficulties with this issue; for example when i add notepad on software list and that the user open multiple times this notepad, the ram is consumed quickly just by one user and other user can't logged in anymore.
i am sorry but i think that is a critical issue ;)

dcipher

Post by dcipher » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi

I believe this is controlled by the OS so TSPlus would not be able to control this. In my case since I write the software people use on my server I limit the ram the application can use and that solved problems with users opening my applications multiple times.

Simon

ds2kx

Post by ds2kx » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Simon,
On terminal server we can manage ram and cpu per user, is not OS which control this.

And nobody want change anything on the software shared; firstly because sometimes we dont have the source code (lol) and secondly because the main argument of tsplus is that we dont need change anything on a software to provide a "SAAS" software ;)

My reflexion is simple : tsplus should thinking about multitasking and try to avoid all common problems on a multi-user environment).
Just limit amount of ram used per session (if ram allowed is reached, the next proccess is directly killed and logged) and same for cpu(on pourcentage of total cpu capacity).
This option should will be directly on tsplus product because its a "must to have".

:)

John

Post by John » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:08 pm

Hello,

I think you are refering to the good old days (2003/2008) where Microsoft did includes a valuable tool named
Windows System Resource Manager (WSRM)

Unfortunately, it does not exists anymore.

Even the msconfig whihc was so easy to use to disable startup processes has been removed.

As result on the current version of Windows (W10/W2016) it is more complicated to eliminate useless startup processes (scheduled tasks, startup tasks, and user based services).

This is why, in our latest releases of TSplus we added a nice new feature which enable to stop some of them: You will see it in the "Session Managment and Local Group Policy tile.

This is also why we decided to "Exit" from our logonsession.exe process each time it is possibly.

For the other users processes, each administrator has to study what is running at logon, why, and if this can be remoded without jeopadizing the user capability to run its application.

Kind regards

John

ds2kx

Post by ds2kx » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:47 am

WSRM is not compatible with win2016 or win10.
Study which and why a program is executed/used by the user is NOT enough : one very little exemple : ok we restrict all unwanted software but when a user open several times the SAME authorized software ;) no limit on Windows...and all ram is consumed by one user ;)
We need just a little service which controle logged user and process executed and when an user reach the lilit, the service stop the last process executed by the user and one alerte or log is send to administrator.