Restarting Print Spooler - Universal Printer Since 11.30.4.12

Get help with troubleshooting issues
spmnemrc

Restarting Print Spooler - Universal Printer Since 11.30.4.12

Post by spmnemrc » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:07 pm

We instruct about 125+ clients to print to the "Universal Printer".

In April we updated to 11.30.4.12 we are using Universal Printer version 3 with CUSTPDF (Not Ghostscript) per JD due to the way Ghostscript uses the registry.

In the prior version version 9 we had an event trigger that restarted the print spooler when svcr.exe had an issue. It worked flawlessly with 100% up-time on universal printing.

In 11.30.4.12 - the event manager no longer logs/reports all the problems with the svcr.exe and the spooler so the only way we know if it fails printing is when a client calls us.

To solve the problem we simply restart the spooler service and the printing on Universal resumes as normal.

So my question is how can we determine if the svcr and the print spooler needs attention besides the Event 1000 with wsession in it.

spmnemrc

Re: Restarting Print Spooler - Universal Printer Since 11.30.4.12

Post by spmnemrc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:03 pm

At a similar time of day my Universal Printer Queue stopped processing, however it was still accepting jobs. The Queue was getting quite large. I restarted the spooler and off they went.

I reviewed the event logs and found some 7036 - The Printer Extensions and Notifications service has entered its running state.

Is there any reason this should run with Universal Printer?

John

Re: Restarting Print Spooler - Universal Printer Since 11.30.4.12

Post by John » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:01 pm

Hello,

If
You are using CUSTpdf driver,
Then
It is the same technology we are using today on the release 11.30
Nothing more, nothing less... The same code.

It is the GhostScript driver which is new, but you do not use it.

My only advise is to set you Spool service to restart automatically if it stops.

Kind regards

John