Long delay before desktop appears at login

Get help with troubleshooting issues
gman42

Long delay before desktop appears at login

Post by gman42 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:56 pm

Running the most recent TSPlus 8.10 release, we're having an issue on our Server 2012R2 server where users get stuck for several minutes at a black screen before their desktop appears. The connection seems fine once the desktop finally comes up.

Interestingly enough, users with local admin rights don't seem to experience the same delay (although the login still takes a minute or so).

ctm99

Re: Long delay before desktop appears at login

Post by ctm99 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:27 am

Same issue here on W2012 r1, was fine before last update (now at 8.10.1.30).

I notice there is a new menu option under Server, Session Opening preferences. Is there something we need to do in there?

Craig

gman42

Post by gman42 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:30 pm

One additional piece of information that may be useful:

Looking at task manager, the WmiPrvSE.exe process (Windows Management Instrumentation service) jumps to about 15-20% CPU when a user is in the process of logging on and the delay is occurring. Also, rebooting the server seems to alleviate the problem temporarily, but it reoccurs after normal usage throughout the day.

leomylonas

Post by leomylonas » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:55 am

I recently had the same problem also on Server 2012. It actually fixed itself with another update/patch. Have you tried doing another update to the latest version (do it via the admin tool - it's easier that way)
I did come up with a temporary "fix" while we were waiting for the patch which may or may not help you... I noticed that my login scripts were running fine, just didn't get a desktop for a few minutes, so I just added "start explorer.exe" to the end of my (batch) login script, and this "fixed" the problem.

gman42

Post by gman42 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I've updated to the latest 8.2.x patch and having the same issue. I have the server rebooting every night, and the issues (now also including users randomly getting disconnected and/or not being able to log in at all) only occur in late afternoon, after several hours of uptime, and if I reboot again the problems go away. It certainly "feels" like a memory leak, although I'm not an expert. I'm not using a logon script, and am having other issues besides just the long logon delay, so I don't know if your workaround would fix anything.

I opened a support ticket with TSplus and their response so far has just been to do a complete uninstall/reinstall of the product in case it's corrupted. That strikes me as a default answer that doesn't reflect the issue, but I'll certainly try it before anything else (probably tonight). I'll post an update here if anyone's interested.