User defined printer mapping

Help us improve our product. Feature requests are welcomed!
vivburrows

User defined printer mapping

Post by vivburrows » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:34 am

As you seem to be developing the printing functionality currently, is there a possibility that you could look at creating a user defined printer name on the server which then mapped locally to a defined printer, this would hugely expand the product over the default,select or display options currently available
Viv

John

Re: User defined printer mapping

Post by John » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Hello,

In fact, for the HTML5 client this option to "rename" the Virtual Printer already exists.
If you edit:
C:\Program Files (x86)\TSplus\Clients\webserver\printer.bin
you can chage the display name as you wish.

For exemple:

Instead of
PRINTERS=PS:%PRINTMENU%MS Publisher Imagesetter%Virtual Printer with Preview %;PS:%DEFAULT%%PRINTHIDE%MS Publisher Imagesetter%Virtual Printer %;PS:%PRINTMARK%MS Publisher Imagesetter%Virtual Printer IE Edge %;
you can decide to set:
PRINTERS=PS:%DEFAULT%%PRINTHIDE%MS Publisher Imagesetter% MY HTML5 PRINTER%;

For the Universal Printer, I have done the test for you and I verified that we can change the Universal Printer name.
To do so, on server side, I have use the Control Panel Printer, select the Universal Printer, select Printer proterties and changed Universal Printer by MY PRINTER

Kind regards

John

vivburrows

Post by vivburrows » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:30 pm

Sorry badly explained by me
I was referring to

How to map a TSPrint printer to another local printer besides the default printer?

(Minimum Version: 1.8.6.0) TSPrint is mostly used with two types of TSPrint printer: TSPrint Default and TSPrint Printer. The TSPrint Default printer will print everything to the local default printer without any dialogs. The TSPrint Printer in return will show each time a dialog where you can select the desired printer and its settings.

Now sometimes you would like to create a new printer and tell TSPrint to automatically transfer the printjob to another local printer besides the default printer.
This can be done with the new type of TSPrint printer named TSPrint User Defined. By default the TSPrint installation does not create such a printer.

To map a local printer to a TSPrint printer log-in to your terminal server and go to:
Start -> Programs -> TerminalWorks -> TSPrint Server -> Print Manager

This is the Printer Manager of TSPrint which enables you to create new TSPrint printers and assing them to different users or groups.

Now to create a new user defined printer which we can map to a local printer we press the green plus button on the lower left corner of the dialog. This will the show us the following dialog:

The new printer dialog enables to define the name and functionality of the tsprint printer.

Enter the desired name of the printer and under TSPrint Function select TSPrint User Defined. Now under the Printer Security field you can add different users or groups which should be able to see and print to this printer. If you leave this field empty then only YOU and the server Administrator will see this printer and be able to print to it.

After we save the new printer it should appear as any other printer in our list:

Now the first time you print to this printer a dialog will show up which will ask you to select the desired local printer. If another user on the terminal server prints to the same printer he will also receive this dialog the first time and he will able to select his local printer. By printing on the terminal server to the user defined TSPrint printer TSPrint will check if the user has selected a local printer to which print jobs should be transfered. In case he has not the earlier mentioned dialog will show up.

Here you select the desired local printer to which the server printer should be mapped to.

Now print to the printer and your print job will automatically be transfered to the earlier selected local printer. Using this scheme you can for examle create a new printer and assign to him form sizes of your local POS printer and each time when printing on the terminal server the print job with the correct form size will be printed on your local POS printer.

John

Post by John » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Hello,

For your information TSprint IS NOT A TSPLUS PRODUCT.

Can you please ask your TSprint question to TerminalWorks?
They are selling TSprint and they should know what they sell; isn't it?

Myself, I never did use TSprint, so, I am absolutly blind and weak to be able to write any relevant advise on TSprint, TSprint settings, TSprint behavior or TSprint issues.

Kind regards

John

vivburrows

Post by vivburrows » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi John
I know that TSPRINT is not your product, however your product is getting better and better, one area that has room for improvement is the rdp printing function.
I have used various rdp printing products since Provision Networks many many years ago
My question was, do you think that at some stage you might like to improve your printing functionality to be able to map to multiple client printers as per TSPRINT, currently your offering whilst now be usable is quite limited in its printing functionality.

I tried to describe one of the functions at the beginning of this question without naming them but as I was not making myself clear I felt it easier to copy and paste in the description of the function from their site

Viv