TS Server Drain Mode

Help us improve our product. Feature requests are welcomed!
filipecosta

TS Server Drain Mode

Post by filipecosta » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:20 pm

Hi,

in a Load Balacing cenario where you need to have services avaiable 24/7, an option to allow for an aplication server to be drained would be great. This can be extremely helpfull for maintenance.

The only way i know of accomplishing something like this is in TSPLUS, is removing the server from load balancing configuration, and then add it again.

Microsoft Remote Desktop already has this feature (this can also be configured using GUI):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\TSServerDrainMode
0 = Allow all connections
1 = Allow reconnections, but prevent new logon until reboot
2 = Allow reconnections, but prevent new logon

This feature is must have for companys that operate 24/7, and would be a great addition to a great software.

Thanks.

johndavies

Re: TS Server Drain Mode

Post by johndavies » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:43 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion and we will for sure add this support in TSplus AdminTool.

However, you can set these registry value "manually" right now and reboot.
I do not see why it would not do the job ;)

Kind regards

John

filipecosta

Post by filipecosta » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Hi,

i did try to set these values, although i did so through GUI, and still was able to create a new connection on the server.
Tomorrow i'll try again and post the results.

Kind regards.

filipecosta

Post by filipecosta » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:34 am

Hi John,

i just tested again. This option only works when you have Remote Desktop Session Host role installed and that requires Windows Terminal Server CALS.
I'm using Windows 2008R2 and although windows desktop versions, like 7 and 8, have the same registry values that were mencioned above, i doubt that would work because that role can't be installed.

At the moment i have one Gateway and two TS servers with load balancing. After installing Session Host role on TS server 01, i configured it not to accept new logons until it was restarted. When a new login through gateway portal, TS Server 01 was still selected has the target and i got a message saying that new logins were not allowed.

In this cenario, the server i'm trying to drain is the server with more free resources and therefore load balancing will allways select it for new logons, creating a loop.

Kinds regards.

StylusPilot

Post by StylusPilot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:17 am

Hi,

was this feature implemented?

I am looking to create a simple TS farm and this is a required feature. I have skimmed the release notes, but couldn't specifically find the release this was implemented.

Thanks.