understanding printing with generated client

Get help with installation and setup problems
bzdega

understanding printing with generated client

Post by bzdega » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:56 pm

TSPlus version: 12.20.2.10, Ent. Edition

I try to understand printing with the generated client.

I use this parameters:

Code: Select all

-server server.domain.tld -domain domain.tld -color 24 preview off -default off -select on -speed high -disk on -usb on -sound on -dualscreen on -span off -loadbalancing 0 -localtb 42 -full 1 -remoteapp off -seamless off -width 1920 -height 1920 -smartsizing 1 
I expect when printing i should get a printer dialogue with the local printers (like in web with universal printer redirected).

But what i get is a PDF in my local PDF viewer, like described in option preview.

How can i directly print on the local printers?

Michael
Last edited by bzdega on Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: understanding printing with generated client

Post by admin » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:08 pm

Hello,

-preview off -default off -select on
These are the three settings that you can change to modify your generated connection client setting. Only one setting can be set to on, if a syntax error is present (as it is in your example), pdf preview is used.

If you wish to print automatically on default printer, choose -default on, if you wish to have a choice of local printer to choose from, choose -select on.

You will find below some general guidelines on how to print remotely with TSplus.

1- Universal Printer :

In order to print using the Universal Printer you need to use a generated connection client or the use of our web client and the edition Printer of TSplus or above.
The Universal Printer can be configured for three type of print job :
PDF preview on the local PDF reader : by printing remotely on the Universal Printer, the print job is converted to pdf and sent to the client, it will then be displayed in the local PDF reader of the client.
Select printer : by printing remotely on the Universal Printer, the print job is converted to pdf and sent to the client, a second print pop up will then appear with the choice of local printers.
Print on the default printer : This option is the best for those who do not wish to have a choice of where to print, by printing remotely on the Universal Printer, the print job is converted to pdf and sent to the client on the default printer.

You will find here will find more detailed information about this here : https://www.terminalserviceplus.com/doc ... al-printer

We also have a tutorial video about this : https://www.terminalserviceplus.com/video-tutorials.php

2- Printer redirection :

Using standard redirection can be tricky, because many prerequisites must be met in order for it to work. Printer redirection is not supported with the use of HTML5 and the TSplus Mobile App.

You need to install the exact same version of device drivers on client side and server side.
This means if your server is installed with 2012 x64 but your client computers are installed with Windows XP x32, you will need to add manually these drivers on your server by editing the print server properties and add x32 drivers for XP.

For best results, it is also recommended not to use USB printers but prefer COM or LPT printers.
If you are using USB printers, make sure you updated the RDP protocol of your client computer to 6 or above to ensure maximum compatibility with redirected printers.

Even with all this in mind exotic printers may not be suitable to be redirected in a TSplus session, therefore you may need to look into specific procedure to install these printers in RDS / terminal server environment, which is very close to TSplus in this case.

More information about printer redirection can be found here : https://www.terminalserviceplus.com/doc ... er-mapping
Olivier
TSplus support team administrator

bzdega

Re: understanding printing with generated client

Post by bzdega » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:10 pm

my fault, there was a - missing in front of preview off.

now it works, user can select local printer:

-server server.domain.tld -domain domain.tld -color 24 -printer on -preview off -default off -select on -speed high -disk on -usb on -sound on -dualscreen on -span off -loadbalancing 0 -localtb 42 -full 1 -remoteapp off -seamless off -width 1920 -height 1920 -smartsizing 1
as you said: when there is a syntax error, printing goes back to PDF preview.

Thanks
Michael