understanding loadbalancing setup

Get help with installation and setup problems
bzdega

understanding loadbalancing setup

Post by bzdega » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:28 pm

To make a few things clear:

I have two identical TSPlus servers. One is connected to the internet (and a firewall), the other one is not.

When i know activate the loadbalancing feature on the first server and add the second server - thats it?

The user should be distributed automatically to server 1 or 2.

Do i have to set anything else? Web Portal settings? Gateway Portal?

regards
Michael

bzdega

Re: understanding loadbalancing setup

Post by bzdega » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:49 pm

the Gateway is the main feature and it has 3 different options to use it, correct?

- loadbalancing (no user choice) between at least 2 servers (same workloads/application on each server)
- assing specific server to users without loadbalancing (mostly for different workloads/applikations on each server)
- but what does the gateway proxy do? hiding all servers behing 1 single public IP with user choice on the gateway portal site?

In all of these 3 different ways, i have to set the option in "Web Portal Settings -> Gateway Portal: generates a site for a web gateway"?

This point is not very clear: you are talking about a Gateway Portal and a Web Gateway on the same dialogue. I think you mean the same thing. Then please call it the same.

But in which cases the farmmanager is needed?

I leave it empty but loadbalancing still seems to work.

I'm a little bit confused.

Can you please make clear, which setting is needed for one of these 3 gateway-options?

Thanks
Michael

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:23 pm

To make a few things clear:
I have two identical TSPlus servers. One is connected to the internet (and a firewall), the other one is not.
When i know activate the load balancing feature on the first server and add the second server - thats it?
The user should be distributed automatically to server 1 or 2.
Do i have to set anything else? Web Portal settings? Gateway Portal?
Hello,

This is almost correct, you need to activate the reverse proxy feature on your in order to be able to create a single access point to your farm otherwise you would have to create a port redirection rule for every servers of your farm on your router.

More information about reverse proxy can be found here : https://www.terminalserviceplus.com/doc ... xy-feature
Olivier
TSplus support team administrator

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Hello,

I completely understand your confusion.

When using either the gateway feature allowing you to assign a server to a user or group, you need to check the gateway box in the web portal preference tile of the admin tool.

When using the load balancing feature allowing you to share the load amongst a farm of server, the gateway feature needs to be activated on the server on which you enabled this feature.

Please note that you cannot use these two features at the same time.

The farm manager is optional and is useful on large farms of servers, as it allows you to spread various windows and TSplus settings amongst your farm as well as helping the administrator monitor his servers.
Olivier

bzdega

Post by bzdega » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:02 pm

Sorry to reactivate this thread.

Can you please advice me to have 2-x servers in a loadbalancing for both generated client and HTML5 client?

At the moment my configuration does not work, all user connect to the same server, see attached screenshot.

1. reverse proxy is activated
2. loadbalancing is activated
3. farmmanager is running
4. "use loadbalancing" is checked in the generated client with Gateway Web port number 443

but all clients using this generated client are connecting only to the first server tsp-001.

Something missing or wrong?

Michael
Attachments
2019-12-05 20_31_46-Window.png

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:17 pm

Hello,

You need to remember not to use the "assigned server" feature when using load balancing as these two feature cannot co exist. Basically all setup informations to get you started are summarized here : https://docs.dl-files.com/tsplus/load-balancing-feature
Olivier