TSPlus Server use Win 10 or Server 2012/2016

Get help with installation and setup problems
rickr

TSPlus Server use Win 10 or Server 2012/2016

Post by rickr » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm currently using an evaluation version on an Azure Server 2012 VM. No Problems.

When I move to production, I believe we will host on a local machine within our domain. I know I can run on a Win 10 or Windows Server 2012, 2016 box, but I wonder if there is some difference for my usage. Either would be an i7 processor, 16 - 32 GB RAM and a mirrored SSD for storage.
I will probably have 15 concurrent users, but only three to five will have heavy use. The rest of the users will be occasional users.

Does someone have experience with using a Win 10 box for lighter loads like this vs a Windows Server?

admin
Site Admin

Re: TSPlus Server use Win 10 or Server 2012/2016

Post by admin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:52 pm

Hello,

My recommendation is to always go for older operating systems such as Windows 2012 which is field proven and widely used.

You will find all basic information regarding TSplus pre requesite here : http://www.terminalserviceplus.com/docs/pre-requisites

What is important to keep in mind, is that your server's performance will mostly depend on these criteria :

1- The amount of memory used by your published application, some applications requires more memory than others.
2- The percentage of CPU used by your published application, some applications requires more CPU than others.
3- Fast disk access, this is also important to consider if your application needs to write a lot of data, especially if more than 50 users are connected simultaneously.
4- The amount of GDI/Users objects used by your published application. Some application may cause servers to hang because of this Windows limitation that is not dependent of hardware ressource, more information about this can be found here : blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2010/02/24/3315174.aspx

You can check these by opening a task manager and click on the process tab, use the display feature to add GDI and User objects.
Olivier
TSplus support team administrator