Floating panel stops working

Get help with installation and setup problems
Compuz

Floating panel stops working

Post by Compuz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:04 pm

Weird issue, So installation and setup went fine. 1 minor issue I'm working out, but not effecting performance, it's more to program icons in the panel. The weird thing is this; I have the users setup to use the floating toolbar and it works fine.... for awhile. Then, for no reason that I can find, a user will login and get a full remote desktop. The system is up and running, they can login, but again using the remote desktop with no icons. So once they alert me to this happening, I reboot the system and boom, we are back in business, for a while. Then I have to reboot the system again and the cycle continues. Timing between reboots is roughly 5-7 days.

I have applied the 11 patch, but this was happening before and after this patch was installed.

I should add this installation is a vm running via MS Hyper-V. I have applied 4 cores and 32Gb Ram, 1 TB hard drive. OS is windows 7 with all updates applied.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Floating panel stops working

Post by admin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Hello,

This may mean that your server needs to be rebooted. This appear to be necessary on Windows OS to unfragment memory.
You can set an automatic task for this purpose if needed.
Olivier
TSplus support team administrator

IvanGB

Post by IvanGB » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Hi guys.

I was watching this thread closely, as it scared me a bit.

Compuz, do you mean your users get a full Remote Desktop with access to the Start button, for example? If so, this brakes security in so many levels!
And the answer from Olivier sounded like an expectable behavior!

Could you confirm, Compuz?
And could you tell us how your users are connecting to the server? (Browser HTML5, client generated app, etc)

Thanks.

Ivan

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:01 am

Hello,

This behavior may occur at the first connection of the user, waiting a few seconds the desktop disappears and let the assigned application take place. This was designed to counter one issue where blue screens would occur at logon a while back.
Olivier

IvanGB

Post by IvanGB » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi Olivier.

Got it, it looks like a "valid" strategy.
But at the same time, if something goes wrong and the applications don't show up, as in Compuz's case, it seems that the full desktop just stays there. And then what?!
Also, in the OP's situation, it doesn't look like it is the first time the user log in, as it is clear it's been happening every week.
So, I guess there should be something treating the possibility of a crash at the time the applications are made available and if there is an error, block the entire thing.

Best.

Ivan

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Hello Ivan,

Sorry for the delayed answer. If you can create a support ticket and provide us with an admin access to your server, we should be able to diagnose this behavior in your environment and possibly fix it online.
Olivier

matrix786

Post by matrix786 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:26 am

I am having the same issue, I posted in trouble shooting forum

Marsee

Post by Marsee » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi Oliver, I've got the same issue as Ivan. Would you post the solution to the problem in this thread please?

IvanGB

Post by IvanGB » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi Marsee.

Just to let you know... I am not the one facing this issue. The original poster (Compuz) was the one reporting it. Once I saw it over here, it scared me that something like this could happen and then I asked for details, which unfortunately haven't been provided yet.
But as I see, you have had it too now. So, may I ask you the same questions I made to "Compuz" about it?

Do you mean your users get a full Remote Desktop with access to the Start button, for example? If so, this brakes security in so many levels!
And could you tell us how your users are connecting to the server? (Browser HTML5, client generated app, etc)

In my case, I only offer HTML5 connection and haven't had this to happen, as far as I know...

Cheers.

Ivan