TSPLUS 10.40.7.30 upgrade break Windows Server 2012 authentication

Get help with installation and setup problems
cmarsura

TSPLUS 10.40.7.30 upgrade break Windows Server 2012 authentication

Post by cmarsura » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi.
I have a Flexi Cloud test farm, all servers Windows 2012 R1 are domain joined, updated with latest Windows updates.
After upgrading to latest Flexi Cloud v 10.40.7.30, when the administrator try to connect via RDP to the servers, he is presented with a message box advising that "The identity of the remote computer cannot be verified ... This problem occur if the remote computer is running a version of Windows that is earlier than Windows Vista, or if the remote computer is not configured to support server authentication".
[img]
TsPlusWarningAfterUpdate.jpg
[/img].

Besides of this, tsplus users seems login correctly as usually.

What is happened ?

admin
Site Admin

Re: TSPLUS 10.40.7.30 upgrade break Windows Server 2012 authentication

Post by admin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:03 pm

Hello,

This pop up is normal and should have no influence on your connection. Simply click connect.

If your server got updated to Windows 2016, then most likely you inherited the new RDP 10 protocol. As always, Microsoft does not keep a good descending compatibility with lower versions of Windows.

What you can do is lower the authentication method of your server by using a GPO. Open a gpedit.msc on your TSplus server and locate the following GPO :

Computer configuration / Administrative templates / Windows components / Remote Desktop Service / Remote Desktop session host / Security / Set client encryption level

You can also update the RDP protocol on your client computer.
Olivier
TSplus support team administrator

cmarsura

Post by cmarsura » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:33 am

I never seen this popup before, no Windows 2016 around, the client computer where I connect from and the Flexi Cloud servers where I connect to are all Windows 2012 R2 Standard members of same domain and all are updated with the latest Windows Update patches, so the unique software change happened in meantime is the upgrade to Flexi Cloud v 10.40.7.30 from 10.40.7.7.

I tried to follow your instructions to change the encryption level via GPO followed by a gpupdate /force, but without luck.
There are no RDP update for Windows 2012 R2.

It is very strange that before the prompt was not appearing :/
Maybe the Flexi Cloud upgrade change some RDP settings ?

Best.
Carlo

cmarsura

Post by cmarsura » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi, any news on this?

Tested also the latest 10.40.8.5 build but no differences.

As stated before, the only thing changed is the Flexi Cloud version, moreover, the problem is very annoying, because it block me to use the saved computer credentials. :?:

Carlo

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Hello,

"Don't ask me again for connections to this computer"

Just check this check box and you will not see this usual annoying Windows pop-up.
It is easy and there is no problem to do so.

Just one more comment: To establish its connection, TSplus is generated a standard .rdp file named session.rdpand this .rdp file is store in ../RDP6 folder in the user PC current profile.
Then it is the standard user mstsc.exe which is started by the TSplus client.
Nothing in this process is specific to TSplus and everything belong to standard Windows behavior.
So, it cannot be a release of TSplus which can change such standard Window behavior.

Kind regards

John
Olivier
TSplus support team administrator

cmarsura

Post by cmarsura » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:21 am

Strange enough, also after checking the "Don't ask me again for connections to this computer", Windows was keeping to ask credentials, ignoring these previously saved.

I have had to go to the Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage your credentials and remove the saved credentials of the Tsplus servers, restarting mstsc.exe and checking the "Allow me to save the credentials".
After having done this, I was able to connect successfully to my Tsplus servers using saved credentials.

I noticed that the credentials for Tsplus servers was now saved under the "Generic credentials" not "Windows credentials".

Thank you very much.
Carlo

IvanGB

Post by IvanGB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi Carlo.

Good catch!

I was also facing this issue of having to enter credentials every time I connected to the servers using RDP. Deleted the credential, created again and it works now. Also noticed it got moved to the Generic Credentials afterwards.

Cheers.

Ivan