Server Farm Load Balancing

Get help with installation and setup problems
davide.villa

Server Farm Load Balancing

Post by davide.villa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi,
I setup a server farm with 3 server with gateway and the load balancing feature works very well.
now I would like to add a new server only for a group of users.
Is there a way to force a Domain Group to use the new server and other users/groups not to use it?
without deactivate the load balancing feature?

thanks in advance.
bye

Davide

John

Re: Server Farm Load Balancing

Post by John » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Hello,

The answer is quite a simple one.

You have a farm with load balancing.
And
You will have a new server which has no relation with this farm.
So, this server is a "standalone system" where the member of the group will connect using this server IP and this server will not have, obviously, any relation with the existing load balanced farm.

Kind regards

John

davide.villa

Re: Server Farm Load Balancing

Post by davide.villa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:24 pm

Hello John,

thank you for your answer,
but I forgot to mention that my server farm is configured to use the "reverse proxy" feature.
The problem is that all my users are remote users, and the connections are established to one single public IP address.
It's not possible at the moment to connect to the "standalone system" with a different IP address.
In addition the users are using the generated client to connect to the farm, so change the IP is not a trivial task.

Anyway the possibility to exclude one host from the load balancing should be useful in many situation:
for example I will exclude a testing host to deploy a new version of an application or operating system (my actual case) and let only few selected users to connect to that host to test the new system.
or excluding a host to gracefully move all the users to the remaining hosts to perform maintenance when all the users are connected to the other application servers.

that's why I'm looking for a configuration to be performed on the gateway/farm side, rather than modify the generated client to connect directly to the new server.

Regards,

Davide.